Thursday, June 4, 2009

Mandarin jam....

Last night I made up some mandarin jam. We have a tree at work, very neglected little thing it is, but heaps of fruit. No one at work seems that fussed in picking them, they are rather small....so I thought they would be perfect for jam.

This is the recipe I followed:


1kg mandarins
500 - 600 gms sugar
juice of 2 lemons

Zest 2-3 of the mandarins (mine were small, so I probably zested 5). You need a good tablespoon.

Peel the rest of the fruit. Throw all into a blender and process to a puree. Mine wasn't really smooth.

Add puree, sugar and juice to saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat. Then reduce heat. Simmer approx. 30mins until jam sets. Mine was definately longer.





At this point I thought I didn't have a real lot, as I wanted to take in a jar to everyone at work, so I sliced up another 6 mandarins, skin and all, and threw in.

Simmered some more.

To test, I put a plate in the freezer for a couple of minutes, removed and put a teaspoon of jam on it. When it had cooled I ran my finger through. If it holds, then it is supposed to be ready. Mine wasn't quite, so cooked some more.




I rinsed out my jars (already clean) and placed in a warm oven. Then when I took them out of the oven I filled with hot jam!



Lovely....




Will take in 3 jars to work today and pick some more mandarins to make some more for myself!!

I have seen recipes online, that don't peel the mandarins. So next time I will try that, just to save a bit of time.



Sandy

No comments:

What I Like to Listen To...